Friday, November 2, 2012

Aiken Drum

Mr. Maraca is a big hit with my older kids (4th-6th).  I show the powerpoint of where he is and they all guess and it's a lot of fun, and a lot of learning.  With my younger kids though I can't have them sit through a powerpoint! So Mr. Maraca is more of a class mascot and we learn songs appropriate for where Mr. Maraca is "Vacationing"

Right now Mr. Maraca is in Scotland checking out castles, and going to visit Nessy, the Loch Ness Monster.  Kindergarten through 3rd grade are learning traditional Scottish Folk Songs.  In class we started learning about the Scottish folk song Aiken Drum.










As the Scottish Folk song tells us Aiken Drum is a man that lives in the Moon.  As every good Scotsmen knows, if you live on the moon your clothes are made of food! The students had a chance to compose their own lyrics to "Aiken Drum", sing through the song together and draw their own pictures of what Mr. Aiken Drum looks like to them.

I like to play multiple versions of songs for the students to compare and contrast different styles. We sang our Aiken Drum version with piano accompaniment.  I also showed them this video with guitar and drum playing:


Finally I chose a few of their pictures to display, and one class has been recorded as well! I think Mr. Maraca would be very proud of all the Scottish Folk Song singing we did in class this week!

To hear Mr. Patterson's 2nd grade class sing their version of Aiken Drum click the link below:






2 comments:

  1. Thank you Mrs. G for sharing this with us! We are smiling from ear to ear. Rose could not stop talking about Scotland and Aiken Drum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful to hear!! I hope everybody gets as excited as I do to learn!

    ReplyDelete